Monday, June 25, 2012

Celebrating Annaliese's Graduation from High School

Alex's youngest sister, Annaliese, graduated from high school this past weekend. On Friday I ran to the Niagara Falls Outlet Mall to hunt for her gift.  She had been talking about wanting a Coach wristlette for years, since she saw mine, so I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to get her one. We have a Coach Outlet store pretty close by, which is fantastic, because almost everything they have is discounted by 50%, and they offer coupons when you walk through the doors for an addition 30% off, so 80% off sounds pretty darn good to me!

I ended up finding a cute, classy, and spacious wristlette/clutch combo that was perfect for a girl ready to start college. 

I lucked out and ran into my friend Jenn (best friend who introduced Alex and I) at the mall, and she and Alex's other sister Astrid (via phone) helped me pick out the above bag, pretty cute! Jenn and I also stopped by the Bare Escentuals store and I picked up some pretty neat products (eye liner kit with special brushes, and some summery blush/bronzer to go with my tan). Anna's graduation, along with Jenn's rehersal dinner and wedding were coming up fast (this past weekend for the grad, and this week/weekend for wedding events), and we decided to hit up Banana Republic to look for some dresses for the events. I instantly found six dresses that would be perfect, tried them all on, and decided to get them. I recently realized I had no classic/elegant dresses that could be worn to any major events, so this shopping trip couldn't have worked out any better!

Early Saturday morning (3:30am) Alex's sister Astrid was coming in from NYC (where she goes to Optometry School) for Anna's graduation.  Alex picked her up, we snoozed until 8:00am, and Astrid surprised us with breakfast from Ess-A-Bagel in Manhattan. Yum!! Perfect treat to hold us over before our celebratory dinner at 6:00pm.

Astrid & Alex waiting for the graduation ceremony to begin.
The graduation ceremony was held at Art Park, and was like any typical high school graduation - long! Alex even brought an ipod to listen to through the student speeches, while I kept my head down in an, "I'm embarassed for you" manner. I have horrible anxiety when it comes to watching young people sing/give speeches, for fear that they will do a horrible job. Of course there was the typical girl who decided to stroll down memory lane and blah-blah about every inside joke/story she'd ever been a part of. Then there was the loud, flamboyant doofus who was way too over the top.  The valedictorian's speech was expertly executed and I felt as if I were listening to one of my peers give a presentation, rather than an 18 year old. Refreshing.

After the graduation came the long awaited dinner reservations at Tempo Restaurant! Alex and I had heard rave reviews about this restaurant from our friends, but it is pretty fancy, and we don't really go out to restaurants very often, mostly because we both enjoy preparing yummy foods at home. We all decided to order drinks and a bunch of appetizers to share, and then ordered individual meals. I am an avid food photographer, so here are some pictures from our dinner.

Astrid's eggplant appetizer.

I ordered the calamari. This was THE BEST calamari I've ever had. It was a huge hit around the table!

Alex & his dad both ordered the muscles. These were the best muscles I've ever had as well. Perfectly steamed, soft, not chewy at all, and no big fishy taste! 

Alex is VERY excited for his enormous 32oz. ribeye.

I ordered the filet mignon wrapped in proscuitto, over a bed of gnocchi and escarole. 

Yay! Congratulations Anna! (With her gnocchi.)

Alex's dad's ribeye.

Alex is ready to do some serious eating.

Astrid & her mom ordered the grilled steak.

Tiramisu.

Creme brulee. 
The dinner was absolutely fantastic! Definitely the best restaurant we've been to so far (for the type of food served). All-in-all, a wonderful day to celebrate Anna graduating from high school, perfect weather, great family, and amazing food. What more  can a girl ask for!

Thanks for reading! Next up: Greek party.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm here from Alex's DE : )

    Very lucky girl getting a Coach wristlet. I bought a purse from the outlet in Orlando when I went to Disney/Universal last year. I love it!

    I read your last entry about people not getting you're going to be the dentist...and have similar interactions with library school. I always get, "you need a Master's to be a librarian? But all you do is check out books!" It's so hard not to punch them haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm convinced that most people have NO IDEA about other's careers, and don't bother to ask! Way to make you feel like an idiot, right? No matter if you're scooping ice cream, or doing open heart surgery, every job is pretty darn important! Now, where's my fudgesicle!?!?

      Delete